Double chocolate cookies are my favourite treat and I’ve tried several recipes trying to find the right one! This has to be my favourite. Quick, Simple and so easy the children can make them!
4 1/2 ozs of chocolate
4 oz butter
7 oz sugar
7 oz plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 oz cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
– Preheat oven to 175 degrees;
– Melt chocolate and set aside;
– Mix butter and sugar together;
– Add egg;
– Sift flour, cocoa, bicarbonate, salt and melted chocolate and mix into the egg mixture to form a dough;
– Roll into balls and place (do not press down) on a tray at the end of the lollipop stick. Allow space for the cookies to spread;
– Cook for 10-12 mins. Remove from the oven and add the smarties whilst they are still hot and soft. Leave to cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
I prefer a more crunchy cookie so bake them until they start to crack on the top, for a softer gooey cookie take them out just before they start to crack.
These also work well by adding chocolate chips to the mixture and making them just as cookies without the lollipop sticks. I added the lollipop sticks when it was a someone’s birthday as something a bit more special. They are always very popular at the school bake sales too.